"There shall be an Awards Committee consisting of Chair, Past-Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and two additional members in good standing and the Awards Officer who shall be ex officio members of the committee." [By-Law 20(f)].
- To solicit nominations for and select the recipients of the following awards.
- To edit citations for recipients of CSBE/SCGAB awards, and make arrangements for the presentation ceremony.
- To forward to the ASABE Office for publicity purposes immediately following the Annual Meeting, a list of awards presented, including a description of the award and a statement of each award winner's qualifications for the award and, if possible, any photographs of the presentation.
- To coordinate with the CSBE/SCGAB Society Manager to ensure the material is used for other purposes especially the CSBE/SCGAB Newsletter.
- To consider and propose to CSBE/SCGAB Council new awards or other methods of recognition of members.
Awards are given for outstanding contributions through work in one or more of the following:
- Design and development based on originality, practicality, and applicability; the awardee must have made the major contribution to the concepts, design or development recognized.
- Extension and management based on a record of high quality work in agricultural, food, and/or biological engineering extension such as leading in extension education through groups or T.V., or by assisting farmers in innovation of new farmstead systems or components. Alternatively, the awardee may be recognized for outstanding managerial work in the food processing industry, building firms, machinery firms, irrigation firms or land drainage.
- Teaching and/or research based on a record of good teaching involving innovation in teaching or course development, and professional and enthusiastic leadership to students. Alternatively, the Awardee may be recognized for research abilities and achievements through the development of new theoretical concepts, or the design and execution of good experiments to prove conclusively the answer to some questions of value to agricultural, food and/or biological engineering.
Click on award title below for complete description and application form.
- Maple Leaf Award
- John Ogilvie Award
- Young Engineer of the Year Award
- John Turnbull Award
- Glenn Downing Award
- Jim Beamish Award
- John Clark Award
- Industrial Award
Fellow of CSBE/SCGAB
Student Competitions and Awards
Preparing Nominations for CSBE/SCGAB Awards
Please use the nomination form in each award description for submitting a nomination. The nominator of the candidate for the Award shall submit a nomination to the Chair of the CSBE/SCGAB Awards Committee by May 1st. Any signed letters of support can be included with the nomination or emailed to the attention of Chair, Awards Committee by the May 1st due date. Prior notification, to the Chair of the committee, of intent to submit a nomination would be appreciated. An e-mail or FAX when the nomination process is started would suffice.
Mail: CSBE-SCGAB, Department of Biosystems Engineering, E2-376 EITC Bldg, 75A Chancellor Circle, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 5V6 , Attn: Awards Committee Chair
NOTE: Those nominating a candidate will be advised only if their candidate is selected. Each nominee will be considered by the awards committee for two additional years if not selected in the year nominated.
Publicizing CSBE/SCGAB Awards
The committee will prepare a suitable one-page news release for each award recipient. Media releases should be available at the media room at the annual meeting.
It is recommended that pictures be prepared at the same time, by having the printer of the Awards Bulletin run 10 extra pages of each citation.
Three weeks prior to the annual meeting, the Society Manager will send the media releases to the various newspaper and radio/TV media identified by the awardee:
- the newspaper(s) where the awardee resides,
- the "home town paper" where he/she grew up, went to school, parents still farm, etc.
- the Professional Engineering newspaper or newsletter in the awardee's provincial engineering association. (and the awardee’s association of Professional Agrologists if appropriate)
- the alumni association of his/her alma mater university.
- Radio and Television stations as suggested by the awardee
- Individual members of the committee shall provide a) a ranked rating; or b) abstain from voting; or c) reject the nomination, for each candidate for an award.
- The Chair shall tally the votes, and return the results to the members for consideration. Members of the committee may change their vote for a second or subsequent round.
- The decisions of the committee shall be sent to the President by the deadline date.
- The President shall inform the nominees of their award and that the Awards committee will be in contact in regard to publicity.
- The committee shall send the suggested citation to each award winner and request any revisions he/she wishes to make.
- The committee shall send a publicity release form to each award winner, requesting name and address details for publicizing the award and a suitable photograph for such publicity and for the awards ceremony at the Annual meeting.
- The committee shall inform nominators of actions taken on their nomination. For unsuccessful nominations, nominators will be advised that the nomination will be kept for the subsequent year only. For nominations that were considered unsuccessfully the second time, nominators will be advised that a completely new nomination would be required at the next nomination period.