At the March CSBE-SCGAB Council meeting, I announced my intention not to renew my appointment as the Manager/ Secretary of the Society and its
Foundation. I will step down after the 2013 AGM in Saskatoon. I feel privileged to work with the Council as well as membership over the past two years. So, this will be my last NEWSLETTER. Dr. John Feddes will be the incoming Secretary/Manager of the CSBE-SCGAB.
I encourage you as a Society member to actively participate in the CSBE/SCGAB to ensure its continued growth and vitality. Please contact Dr. John Feddes, the incoming CSBE-SCGAB Secretary/Manger, for you feed back and concerns. I am listing the complete formal duties of the Secretary-Manager of the Society.
- Serve as the office liaison with affiliate societies.
- Report election results to Council and the annual business meeting.
- File an annual summary with the Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs Canada.
- Preserve all documents of the Society except those assigned to other officers or committees.
- Carry out general secretarial duties including keeping of committee lists, bringing appropriate documents to meetings and correspondence.
- Record the minutes of Council meetings and the annual business meeting and distribute the minutes to Council members within one month of the meeting.
- Provide committee chairs with a list of their committee members and any necessary papers and instructions.
- Carry on correspondence for the Society.
- Serve as the office liaison with ASABE office.
- Report to Council and the Annual Business Meeting on election results.
- Receive reports from all committee chairs.
- Publish the PNL only, no written contributions expected.
- Pay Society expenses.
- Arrange for preparation of auditors report for AGM.
- Receive all By-law changes but not responsible for making the changes.
- Publish and supply in quantity the Awards Booklet to the AGM.
- Publish the CBEJ (Canadian Biosystems Engineering Journal) when finalized by the Editor
- Deliver the CBEJ and invoice the authors for page charges, and serve as Secretary-Treasurer for the CSBE/SCGAB Foundation
AGM 2012 Minutes
The minutes of the 2012 AGM are reported in my Annual Report and are posted on the web site as well.
As you are aware, the next AGM and Technical Conference will be held in Saskatoon from July 7 to 10, 2013. The Local Organizing Committee has worked very hard to organize an interesting and timely technical program, workshops and technical tours. I encourage you to attend.
CSBE-SCGAB Awards for 2013-2014
As you are aware, CSBE-SCGAB Society and CSBE-SCGAB FOUNDATION offer several awards every year. Please see below for more information. Applicants must be a student member of the Society.
The CSBE/SCGAB Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship is to recognize academic excellence among student members of the Society. The Scholarship can be awarded each year to the student member of the Society with the highest GPA in the preceding semester (based on a minimum of 12 credit hours and the GPA must qualify the recipient to appear on the Dean’s Honor List). The Department Head or his/her designate will select one scholarship recipient per year per department.
The CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Thesis Award is to recognize excellence in undergraduate student research in fields represented by the Society. Each eligible university will identify their recipient of the Award. These names will be sent for recognition at the annual banquet.
The CSBE/SCGAB Undergraduate Design Project Award is to recognize excellence in the development of engineering design skills in solving problems related to biological systems. Individual or team projects are eligible. Each eligible university will identify their recipient of the Award.
The CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (M.Sc. Category) is to recognize excellence in graduate student research in fields represented by the Society. The award will be presented in recognition of M.Sc. Theses.
The CSBE/SCGAB Graduate Thesis Award (Ph.D. Category) is to recognize excellence in graduate student research in fields represented by the Society. The award will be presented in recognition of Ph.D. Theses.
In 2012, the Foundation established a new program. To help our students with their travel to our CSBE-SCGAB Technical Conference and AGM, the CSBE-SCGAB Foundation will pay the fees for base conference registration and admission to the CSBE/SCGAB Awards Banquet for the winner(s) of student awards. In addition, the Foundation will provide $100 per student to a maximum of $400 per academic unit (biological/bioresource, biosystems,... eng. programs), to be used to defray the costs of travel and accommodation for attending the conference. The students must be members in good standing of the CSBE-SCGAB in order to be eligible for the awards, fee waivers, and travel support. Eligible academic units (biological/bioresource, biosystems,... eng. programs) are asked to contact the CSBE-SCGAB Foundation (basically me and next year John Feddes) by June 1st of each year, and provide the name, CSBE-SCGAB membership number, and project or thesis title of each winning student who are planning to travel to the conference site. I (next year John Feddes) need a copy of base conference registration receipt for each student who is requesting support. I (next year John Feddes) will issue a cheque to each student in Saskatoon during the annual meeting.
At the 2012 CSBE-SCGAB Banquet, for the first time, framed certificates were prepared for the winners of these awards.