You will recall that a “call for papers” was issued in the summer of 2020 for a Special Issue in the Canadian Biosystems Engineering journal focusing on the topic of “bioengineering education”. The deadline advertised for this Special Issue was January 15, 2021. We have received several submissions and are proceeding with the review process.
However, we have some exciting news to share. Rather than publishing a one-time Special Issue in our Canadian Biosystems Engineering journal, the decision has been made to add a section on Engineering Education to Canadian Biosystems Engineering to allow submissions related to engineering education to be submitted at any time in the future. Perhaps you had an idea for a paper that is relevant to engineering education, but the challenges of delivering your class in an online manner in the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic did not allow sufficient time to prepare the manuscript for the January 2021 deadline. The good news is that you can continue working on your manuscript and submit at any time. We want to establish a vibrant exchange of ideas relevant to the teaching of “bio” engineers.
Canadian Biosystems Engineering will continue to accept papers that relate to any of the following topics:
- engineering education in “bio” engineering,
- graduate attribute strengths & challenges in the “bio” engineering curriculum,
- trends in “bio” engineering graduate programs,
- lessons learned from past program closures,
- challenges with recruitment of “bio” engineering students,
- challenges facing “bio” engineering graduates, and
- emerging opportunities for introducing “bio” engineering education within Canada’s post-secondary education system.
We encourage you to consider sharing your experiences as an engineering educator in our journal, Canadian Biosystems Engineering!
Professor & Head
Department of Biosystems Engineering
University of Manitoba
Editor of the Special Edition - Bioengineering Education