Perspectives Newsletter Winter 2020
Vol. 42, no.4 / Posted on March 19, 2020

COVID-19 Update

CSBE/SCGAB Council met by teleconference on March 16 to discuss the future of the CIGR meeting in Quebec City planned for June 13 to 17, 2020. The recommendation made to the organizing committee (Chaired by Stephane Godbout) was to postpone the conference. There may be a possibility of moving the meeting to the Thanksgiving weekend (at the latest) as a CIGR or as a CSBE/SCGAB Annual meeting. Perhaps, postponing the conference for a year should be considered. Stephane et al. will be talking to the CIGR directors about next steps.  Presently, there is a lot of uncertainty about when air travel will be back to normal and when we will be back to our daily routines.

Also, we will continue the nominating process for our student/member awards. We may have to present both the 2020 and 2021 awards next year.

John Feddes

Message to Authors and Registrants

With the COVID-19 virus being declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization, the Canadian and Quebec governments had put in place several temporary measures to limit the potential spread including the restriction of meetings to 250 people. Also, Canada is closing its border to foreign travel.  

Since the situation is evolving very quickly and unpredictably, the Local Organizing Committee has decided to cancel the June 14 to 18 CIGR meeting in Quebec City. The committee is evaluating various options, including the option of postponing the event to a later date this year. An official announcement will be made by March 31. Until then, we are suspending online registration. For participants already registered for the conference, we will keep you informed as soon as the official decision is made.

We apologize about this situation and we are looking to see you in Quebec City in the next future

Visit our website and Facebook to stay informed.